In doing so, Popkov certainly left traces. Tire prints were found next to the victims, but his Lada Niwa SUV was a common vehicle. There were sperm traces. But until 2008, the police in all of Russia were only able to carry out five gene analyzes a year, each for 10,000 US dollars (currently 8700 euros), an investigator reported on the Medusa portal.
Sometimes Popkov even took part in the investigation into his own actions. His wife worked at the police registration office. She could have unknowingly told her husband what local or visiting investigators knew. It was not until 2012 that Popkov was identified by a genetic test and soon afterwards was arrested in Vladivostok, where he was trying to buy a car.
Jack the Ripper: The greatest mystery in crime history
Over the years, only two women survived the ordeal. But they were too badly injured to identify their tormentor. It is uncertain whether the 78 Popkov murders will last. Three other killings, to which he confessed, could not be proven. In the second process, an expert certified Popkow to be completely sane. No further information was given regarding the murder of a police officer in 1999.
So far, Andrej Tschikatilo (1936-94) has been considered the worst serial killer in Russian history, who has been proven to murder 53 people in Soviet times. In Moscow in 2007, Alexander Pitchuchkin was convicted of 48 murders.
The extent is enormous: there are said to have been hundreds of individual acts on the campsite in Lügde. To cope with the investigation, officials are now coming back from retirement.
The NRW Interior Ministry wants to temporarily bring police officers back from retirement in order to process the huge mountains of files relating to the Lügde abuse scandal. The point is to anonymize the files for the state parliament’s committee of inquiry. The Interior Ministry had written to police officers who had retired in the past four years. “The response was pleasingly large,” said a spokesman for the North Rhine-Westphalia interior ministry on Wednesday. It will be possible to fill the around 20 required positions with these volunteers. The “Bild” had previously reported on the subject.
Case of abuse in Lügde: acquittal for 17-year-olds Abuse verdict: Cardinal Pell can hope for acquittal again Legal dispute: Bavaria pays justice victim Gustl Mollath 600,000 euros
The data protection officer of the state of North Rhine-Westphalia insisted that the victims must be anonymized in the files before they go to the investigative committee. The Ministry of the Interior then wrote to the retirees in writing that this was “not possible with their own resources”. The retirees get paid for their work in addition to their pension. “The additional earnings must of course be taxed,” said the ministry spokesman.community essay sample
The judicial scandal surrounding the psychiatric victim Gustl Mollath has a parliamentary aftermath. According to the wishes of the FDP member of the Landtag, Helmut Markwort, Bavaria’s state government should provide information as to whether someone will be held responsible for the 670,000 euros in compensation payments – and who will ultimately have to pay for it.
Markwort has submitted a corresponding written request to the state government, which is available to the German Press Agency. If the Free State of Bavaria bears the costs, it means in plain language that the Bavarian taxpayers have to pay this amount. “In a constitutional state, however, the polluter should be liable for the damage caused,” writes Markwort.
In mid-November, after years of wrangling with Mollath, the Free State reached an amicable agreement, but “without recognizing any legal obligation”, on a payment of 600,000 euros. Two years earlier, Bavaria had already paid the statutory compensation of 25 euros per day of deprived freedom – a total of 70,000 euros. The basis of the much higher agreement was a settlement proposal from the District Court of Munich I.
With his inquiry, Markwort demands clarification as to whether the case will now be proceeded against representatives of the judiciary, experts and prison directors as well as against supervisory members of the state government. They would have “probably caused considerable legal violations”.
The FDP MP wants to know whether the actors should be liable for the costs of the procedure and the compensation. He also requests information as to whether criminal investigations are being carried out against possible perpetrators of the judicial scandal.
In addition to legislation, the state parliament is also supposed to control the state government and administration. Among other things, MPs have the right to submit written questions to the government. These must be answered in writing within four weeks.
Mollath’s case had started with a profound legal battle between himself and his wife. He was held in psychiatry for a total of 2747 days – wrongly.
In the hope of extensive clarification, the appeal process for a 20-year-old who was driven to death by a drunken novice driver began. One wants to understand the verdict this time, said the father of the deceased on Wednesday. In a black hooded sweater with an arrow on his back, he was sitting as a joint plaintiff in the courtroom of the Würzburg regional court. The symbol is based on a tattoo of his daughter and means: Always look ahead.
The family hopes that the accident in April 2017 will be clarified carefully, because after the first trial in October 2019, many questions remained unanswered. And at the start of the trial, too, it initially looked as if one would not get any further: the four defendants initially did not want to testify again at the start on Wednesday and referred to the information they had given during the investigation and at the hearing last October.
The presiding judge Reinhold Emmert then urgently asked to reconsider this strategy – also to make the grief easier for the relatives. He suspended the session to give the defendants and their lawyers time to reflect. Then the three passengers testified, but had many film tears from the night of the accident because of the heavy alcohol consumption.
So what happened that night when the young woman and her boyfriend went home on the side of a local road? The two of them had celebrated his birthday with friends before heading home near Untereisenheim (Würzburg district). Her boyfriend had to watch on his birthday as she was hit by a car and thrown 13 meters. Alone in the dark he gave first aid and, according to his own statements, waited around twenty minutes for the ambulance.
The driver of the car was then 18 years old. He came from a Lower Franconian wine festival, drove at increased speed and had almost three per thousand in his blood. He is accused of negligent homicide by the public prosecutor. Three passengers also have to answer in court for failure to provide assistance. They went to sleep after the accident and had not given any help after the impact. The young woman died in hospital a few days after the night of the accident.
“In my opinion, the defendants will not provide the information that is owed to the bereaved,” said lawyer Philipp Schulz-Merkel, who represents the victim’s relatives in the secondary prosecution. He complained that the questions of the Chamber were only answered very briefly by the young men. For the father of the deceased it was “almost like a relief” that the defendants did answer the questions of the chamber.
The young men were already fined in October 2019 before the Würzburg district court. The 21-year-old main defendant was fined 5,000 euros and banned from driving for one year because of negligent full drunkenness under juvenile criminal law (Section 323a of the Criminal Code). The mild verdict caused public outrage. The prosecution and the family in the accessory prosecution appealed the verdict.
In its reasoning, the public prosecutor’s office calls for a conviction of the main defendant for negligent homicide under adult criminal law. She also advocated it last October and asked for a prison sentence of two and a half years. At that time, an expert opinion classified the young man as incompetent at the time of the crime – because of his intoxication.
The focus of the further hearing are now two reports that are intended to assess the culpability of the main defendant. One from the same expert as in October 2019: According to his own statements, he mainly relies on the statements of an emergency doctor who testified in detail on Wednesday and treated the main defendant on the night of the accident. Accordingly, there was only a significant limitation of the main defendant’s ability to steer, in other words: This expert now tends to be guilty.
Another opinion comes from psychiatrist Hans-Ludwig Kröber, a well-known expert in proceedings such as the missing Peggy Knobloch, Gustl Mollath or Jörg Kachelmann. His report is expected to be presented on the follow-up date on September 24th. Should he also come to the conclusion that the main defendant was guilty, a conviction for negligent homicide is to be expected. A judgment could be made at the last scheduled meeting on September 25th.
For the relatives, there are still painful hours in the courtroom ahead of the verdict. The family has been fighting a drink-driving campaign since the accident. “For me it was the worst thing that has ever happened to me,” said the victim’s friend in court on Wednesday. Since then he has suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder. He now has the arrow as a tattoo. The half-sister and the father also had the arrow stabbed as a tattoo on their heels, just like the young woman.
After the death of a three-year-old girl in Dresden, the city is investigating suspected meningococci in a daycare center. Medical findings have so far not provided any reliable evidence of bacterial meningitis (meningococcal meningitis), a city spokeswoman said on Wednesday. However, infection cannot be ruled out. As a precaution, the 37 crèche children will be treated with antibiotics in the form of dragees or juice over the next two days, said the head of the municipal health department, Jens Heimann. In addition, prophylaxis is offered to all 150 children and 24 educators on request.
The three-year-old, who visited the day care center in Dresden-Cotta last Friday, came to the hospital on Monday and died shortly afterwards. The child’s family has also been treated with antibiotics.
Meningococci are bacteria that can cause meningitis, among other things. Symptoms are severe headache, high fever, chills, dizziness, neck stiffness and very severe illness. According to the Federal Center for Health Education, meningococcal diseases are relatively rare. About four cases per million people would be registered each year. Usually there are isolated cases, especially in autumn and winter.
In November last year, a girl at a daycare center in Dresden fell ill with meningitis. The disease occurs mainly in children under five years of age or in adolescents between 15 and 19 years of age.
The city is examining a case of meningococci in a day care center in Dresden. According to media reports, a toddler is said to have died on the weekend as a result of the disease. “We are currently waiting for the medical report,” said a city spokeswoman on Wednesday. This is expected around noon. The MDR Saxony had previously reported on the case in a facility in Dresden-Cotta.
According to the report, doctors should now provide the children in the city facility with antibiotics. Meningococci are bacteria that can cause meningitis, among other things. In November last year, a girl at a daycare center in Dresden fell ill with meningitis.
“You’ll get a report from me,” said Markus Majowski to an employee of the jungle camp. The breakout should have cost him a lot of sympathy points from the TV viewers and ultimately led to his departure from camp on Saturday evening. The “picture” now explained to Markus why he lost his composure.
Great affair between Hanka and Miss Menke
Jungle test: Florian successful all along the line
Hanka has to go to the bad sundae
Marc’s nightmare comes true – the food test
Now Hanka switches to “hygiene mode”
Marc gives full throttle in the jungle test
Zoff in the election of the new team boss
Kader Loth has had enough of Hanka Rackwitz
Jens Büchner has to leave the jungle camp
Candidates cannot hold back tears
Hanka and Marc have to go to the disgust test
Honey has to leave the jungle camp
Nicotine withdrawal is a problem for Thomas Hässler
The team wants, but “Honey” pinches
Kader Loth lets Markus Majowski suffer
Jens Büchner: “My obesity pisses me off”
Spectators no longer want to see Markus Majowski
Kader: “I like Markus types”
Sarah Joelle has to leave the “jungle camp”
Sarah Joelle has reached her limits
The first candidate has to leave the camp
What happened? During the treasure hunt with Kader Loth, Markus was tied to a wall by his wrists and was able to open holes in different colors on the rope pulls. Meanwhile, Kader had to answer five questions correctly.
There were five possible answers to each question. Each answer was assigned a color. Kader should then throw a water stink bomb into the hole with the color of the correct answer. She needed nine questions for the five correct answers.
Photo series with 12 pictures
When Kader wanted to unbuckle Markus from the wall, Markus did not seem to be quick enough. “I see stars, people! Now, please help me,” he called over to the film team. When these did not react, Markus followed up. “You’ll get a complaint from me! Come on! I’m serious!” He scolded loudly.